Lino's Song of Songs, Ch. 2

Just to remind you, in the spirit of Dan posting Proverbs a day, we are posting two chapters a week from Song of Songs, and relating them directly to Lino Rulli's life. Here's chapter 2. Remember, B stands for Bride, D stands for Daughters of Jerusalem, and G stands for Groom.

How fitting we do this on the 2-year anniversary of The Catholic Guy Show. I don't have any accolades written, just a tear in my eye from the happiness Lino has brought me.

I am a flower of Sharon,
a lily of the valley.
2
As a lily among thorns,
so is my beloved among women.
3
As an apple tree among the trees of the woods,
so is my lover among men.
I delight to rest in his shadow,
and his fruit is sweet to my mouth.
4
He brings me into the banquet hall
and his emblem over me is love.
5
Strengthen me with raisin cakes,
refresh me with apples,
for I am faint with love.
6
His left hand is under my head
and his right arm embraces me.
7
I adjure you, daughters of Jerusalem,
by the gazelles and hinds of the field,
Do not arouse, do not stir up love
before its own time.
8
B Hark! my lover-here he comes
springing across the mountains,
leaping across the hills.
9
My lover is like a gazelle
or a young stag.
Here he stands behind our wall,
gazing through the windows,
peering through the lattices.
10
My lover speaks; he says to me,
"Arise, my beloved, my beautiful one,
and come!
11
"For see, the winter is past,
the rains are over and gone.
12
The flowers appear on the earth,
the time of pruning the vines has come,
and the song of the dove is heard in our land.
13
The fig tree puts forth its figs,
and the vines, in bloom, give forth fragrance.
Arise, my beloved, my beautiful one,
and come!
14
"O my dove in the clefts of the rock,
in the secret recesses of the cliff,
Let me see you,
let me hear your voice,
For your voice is sweet,
and you are lovely."
15
B Catch us the foxes, the little foxes
that damage the vineyards; for our vineyards are in bloom!
16
My lover belongs to me and I to him;
he browses among the lilies.
17
Until the day breathes cool and the shadows lengthen,
roam, my lover,
Like a gazelle or a young stag
upon the mountains of Bether.
It's so obvious that the writer of Song of Songs knew of Lino's existence when this was written thousands of years ago. Lino is the apple tree in the woods. Why? Because an apple a day keeps the doctor away, and since Lino gives us free therapy from Dr. Pazzo, listening to The Catholic Guy keeps us from having to hire a head doctor.

The writer also mentions a banquet table, and a banner over the bride is love. In this instance, the banquet table is the pizza restaurant Lino frequents, and the banner over the girlfriend is his nose.

In verse seven, the Bride asks the daughters of Jerusalem to not stir up love before its time. I like to believe that this request symbolizes Linos fans. Do not stir up love before its time means not to ask Lino about things like marriage over the air. Lino and the girlfriend will decide that on their own terms, and for us to badger him about it can only bring bad things.

"My lover speaks; he says to me, "Arise, my beloved, my beautiful one, and come!" An obvious reference to Lino inviting the girlfriend to New York.

Throughout the rest of chapter two, the bride (once again, Lino's girlfriend) compares the groom (Lino) to a young stag or gazelle. What do gazelles do? They run. The bride is calling out to a man who, by his own nature, runs. This is the modern-day equivalent to Lino moving to New York and having commitment issues: his first instinct is to run, just like God made him to do.

But she calls out to running Lino, telling him of her strong love. This shows that his girlfriend is very strong: she realizes this flaw but still loves him anyways. Lino may run, but his girlfriend has the strength and desire to keep up with him and love him still.

This entry was posted in ,,. Bookmark the permalink.