Don't quit your day job yet Lino

In a recent show, Lino talked about his desire to pursue God's will and join a religious community. While I applaud Lino's quest and zeal for doing what God wants him to do, he said something that stuck out.

Lino Rulli said he would not renew his contract when it expired in a year and a half.

Realistically, I know the show has to end. I can't expect to be listening to the show in my 70s. Still, after listening to Lino, Lou and Maureen three hours a day for more than two years, they really do feel like family, even though we don't have meaningful conversations off the air, and my birthday goes unnoticed year after year. Point is, there's no way I could consider them close friends without looking like the crazy fan that killed John Lennon.

Still, hearing about the ups and downs in Lino, Lou and Maureen's life each day makes me feel like I know them, and fills me with a sadness imagining my life without their presence.

I could go on, but I'll save the rest of those thoughts for when the show really does away.

The point that strikes me is that, not long after Lino says that he wouldn't renew his contract, he goes off to Minnesota to surprise a fan that has more love for Lino than we here at Catholicguyshow.com could ever have.  Sure, we started this site in May 2008, a good 17 months after The Catholic Guy Show began airing. This girl has been a fan since the first episode of Generation Cross aired 11 years ago, and listens to the radio show nearly ever day (we tip our hat to you Miss)

Lino said on air that he visited the girl for her college graduation, and I have no doubt that meeting him was just about the greatest moment of her life. Ironic that he would meet someone whose life he's impacted greatly shortly after saying on-air that he'd like to quit doing media work (her parents said that he kept the girl close to God through her teen and college years). I'm not Lino, and I don't know the will of God, but that sequence of events, to me, seems to say that God has Lino right where he wants him.

On the radio, entertaining and teaching about the faith.

I'm extremely jealous but super happy that Lino gets to take fans to Rome next week. I got lucky enough to be able to hang out with Lino for an evening, and regard that night as the most memorable night ever: the people who get to spend a week with him learning about the faith will be blessed beyond belief (If all goes to plan, we should have a few fan accounts of that trip next week, since none of us running the show had the dough to go).

Lino, you do an amazing work. Perhaps the "religious life" your seeking is right in front of you on Sirius 159, XM 117.

This entry was posted in ,. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Don't quit your day job yet Lino

  1. Anonymous says:

    ITA, Dustin. I think Lino's true calling is his work in Catholic Media. He has certainly touched and enriched my spiritual life and I hope he continues.

  2. Anonymous says:

    It is almost sad how much my life has changed since I purchased my sirus radio and found the Catholic Guy over two years ago. I plan my day by it, I don't want to miss a minute of it. He fills a major void in catholic media and the Church. I can't think of a better way for him to be serving the church other than what he is doing for her now.