Entertaining all ages.






By Doug INK
It keeps coming to me time and time again how many types of people Lino attracts to the show. I realize this more since the youth movement hit the show. It use to be that just Lou made me feel old when he didn’t get some of Lino’s references. Now it seems that Lino doesn’t get the proper credit and laughter for his remarks because most of the staff doesn’t get it. For instance, the other day during “The Wheel of News” Lou read a story about a elderly ND man who became an overnight millionaire when oil was found on his land. Lino put down a Jed Clampet reference. No response. The youthful staff didn’t understand. Lino starts singing the “Beverly Hillbillies” theme song. No help. As I listen to this unfold I am struck with the realization that I am aging and quite possibly am not quite as cool as I think I am. (Just as I typed this I also have become aware of the fact that most readers of this blog figured that out about me way before I did). That theme song is iconic. Same as “Gilligan’s Island” and the “Brady Bunch”. Forever burned in my mind. But 4 out of 5 members of TCG show have no clue as to what a “double not spy” or cement fishing pond is . Will never get into late night drunken arguments with college buddies trying to explain why Mary Anne was hotter than Ginger. (Ryan and Lou that is, it would be just wrong for the others to debate this).
On the flipside, I don’t get some of the more modern references Lino makes that the staff does like and laughs at. But therein lays the brilliance of Lino. He connects to so many. As you listen to callers into his show you can tell the ages range from teens, occasionally single digit in age, to mid lifers. I think that’s neat. To keep the attention and entertain such a wide range of ages, personalities and even religious beliefs is quite an accomplishment. I manage to bore my wife and kids nearly every night at supper. (Perhaps, because I mostly talk about what I heard on TCGS. I really need to get a different obsession). My point being, the days that one thinks the show or a segment wasn’t quite suited for their intellect. Maybe it wasn’t. But there is a good probability that other listeners thought it was great. As the saying goes, “It’s hard to be all things to all people”. Lino often doesn’t get the credit due to him for drawing in such a wide range of listeners. This blogger is guilty of the offense. No guarantees I won’t go there again. I can whine and complain with the best of them. But down deep, I know Lino gave it his best. That’s all I can ask.

. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Entertaining all ages.

  1. Dan S. says:

    I like how Lino keeps the theology light and takes baby steps to not overwelm/bore his audience. But, every now and then, he'll throw in something a little more advanced to keep the Catholic geeks like me happy.

    I remember a few weeks ago, he was talking about how he ran out of soap and had to take a shower without it. He asked the crew, "Are we saved by soap alone?" At the exact same time as he said it, I yelled at my radio, "Sola Soapora!" Of course the crew didn't get it, but I'm sure the nerds like me were screaming.

  2. As much as Lino may feel awkward being "not young" at 36, but not old either, I think that may be part of the show's success. He has a foot in each generation and his wit and knowledge carry him through.